Are you, a friend, or a family member looking to volunteer with dogs and cats in the Escondido area?
Volunteering is a great way to teach the youth the value of giving back to their local community while getting them out of the house and away from the tv/phone. Especially here in San Diego where we have so many people and animals in need.
Today, lets give back to the pets that we know would love to give back to us! The local shelter, the San Diego Humane Society Escondido Campus, is always looking for help in one way or another, and here are a few ideas:
- Animal Care – Assist with feeding, cleaning, and providing in-kennel enrichment for the animals in the care of our Escondido Campus. Shifts available 7 days a week between 8am-6pm. Minimum commitment is one shift every other week. Shifts typically run 2 to 3 hours in length. Every few months volunteers in this role will have the option to apply for “Step Up” openings in more animal handling roles (additional training required).
- Guest Services – Greet guests and tour them around our campus, answer frequently asked questions, assist with our retail section, and help with clerical tasks. Shifts available daily between 10am-6pm. Minimum commitment is one shift every other week. Shifts typically run 2 to 3 hours in length.
- Neighborhood Adoption Centers – Shifts available at our Neighborhood Adoption Centers (inside local Petcos, PetSmarts, etc) to provide feeding, cleaning, and socialization for adoptable cats, kittens, and occasionally rabbits. Minimum commitment is one shift every other week. Shifts typically run 1 to 2 hours in length.
- PetSmart Escondido – Friday PM
- Petco San Marcos – Monday AM & PM, Tuesday PM
- Petco Escondido – Monday PM, Thursday PM, Friday PM, Saturday AM
REQUIREMENTS TO VOLUNTEER AT THE ESCONDIDO CAMPUS
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Due to time invested in training volunteers must commit to a minimum of 1 year of service.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
- Sign up for a Volunteer Info Session! Info Sessions are hosted every other month: January, March, May, July, September, November. At this session you will learn more about our organization, the volunteer program and current opportunities. Sessions are posted to this webpage at the start of each recruitment month.
- If after attending our info sessions you decide we are the right organization for you, you can then complete a volunteer application and sign up for a Service Interview. This small group session includes a walking tour of the facility and a group interview which includes both question and answer as well as practicing duties in the role to determine if it is the right fit for you.
- Following the interview, the Volunteer Engagement team will review your paperwork and place you in a specific volunteer program if there is an appropriate assignment that matches your skills, interests, and availability.
- Once you have received your volunteer assignment, we will schedule any additional necessary hands on training. This may include a training class and/or mentor training with a staff member.
Find out more on their website here!